Wednesday, August 26, 2015

So far so good

"So far so good"-- that's what I've been telling people that have been checking up on me since my first chemo treatment. I've had minimal side effects (thank goodness!) other than some slight nausea and fatigue but I have been taking my meds to minimize the effects. The biggest issue I've had to date have been hiccups. And they're not just little itty bitty hiccups- they're quite strong and make quite an impact. They've been coming at nighttime which has been rather annoying as its a little hard to fall asleep at night. Then again I've been going to sleep late every night because the prednisone drug which causes my increased appetite also causes sleeplessness. So hiccups+ sleeplessness = double whammy! But hey- I'll take that any day over nausea and fatigue.

I'm still going on my daily morning walks around the lagoon. I look forward to it every day as not only it gets me my daily exercise in but it also gives me time to unwind and not think about too many things. I allow myself to really enjoy the nature of my surroundings- enjoy the calm water of the lagoon, the ducks laying out on the grass by the shoreline and the ibises wading in search of food. I meet a lot of other walkers and joggers along the trail and I think I'm starting to recognize some of them now as I'm sure they probably recognize me too. All in all, it's a great start to my day after dropping the kids off at school.

The rest of the day I'm checking emails, cleaning the house, doing laundry, and running errands. Hmm...maybe I can get a side job as a house cleaner? I've also had visits from friends who stop by and we go grab a bite to eat or just hang out. It's been great seeing all the support I've received from my friends and family. I know I've had a lot to be angry about lately but I've moved past that now and am now just focusing on what I have to be thankful for: my family, my friends, my (relative) health and my (somewhat) youthful age. Though I'm in stage four, my health and age are all positive factors that should aid in putting the Lymphoma into remission. Cancer is a wake up call. It's a wake up call about one's own mortality. We all assume that we'll get to watch our kids grow older, take them camping, teach them to ride a bike and how to drive, put them through college, marry them off and then enjoy being with grandkids but this disease reminds me that life is precious and that we just can't take things for granted. I want to outlive this disease so that I can be their for my kids and watch them grow and enjoy all the wonderful things that is so great about being a parent (but maybe perhaps not just the temper tantrums).

It's Day 5 today and still so far so good. We're in Cancun at the moment. Just got in yesterday. All my doctors say it would be good for me to go on this mini vacation and relax. I'm going to enjoy the next few days sitting by poolside. No alcohol in my body (and probably not so for a loooong time if ever) but a small price to pay for my health. I'll be good with some Spinach and celery juice and a fresh bowl of fruit.






11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the updates. Come clean our house anytime! Agreed, we do tend to take a lot of things for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy yourself Dave. Good to hear you're handling it well. Bun heang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. Keeping you and your family in our thoughts. Please let us know if you need anything as I know Jason will be visiting next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene. And thank you for all the healthy foods Jason drooped off and the kid's toys!

      Delete
  4. Like T said, you're hired when you want to clean my house or spa. Have fun and Stay Strong. We are cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like T said, you're hired when you want to clean my house or spa. Have fun and Stay Strong. We are cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lil Sis. If I go to you spa, I'm getting a foot massage!

      Delete
  6. Happy to hear you are feeling okay! Hang it there and keep posting updates when you have time. - Conrad

    ReplyDelete